Friday, March 27, 2015

Friday Freebie!


This week I hit 500 followers and I wanted to thank all of you who visit my blog with a little gift to make for Easter. I found the design in an old book that I found in a thrift. It is called A Treasury of Needlework Designs by Martha Zimiles.

I took a flower design and remade it to fit the egg shape and a few vines. I got the idea last minute, so I just made it up today and I think it would be fun to do it in different shades and edgings. The wool for the egg is a loose weave, white with flecks of easter colors but the flash washed them out. I didn't think it would sew well on the machine so I hand stitched it with a blanket stitch.

A trick I learned, when trying to trace a design onto light wools or felts, draw your design in a thick sharpie, it will show through on a light box. I like to trace the design with a blue washable marker, so I can place the pieces as I got and not have to worry about placement.

When I use a blanket stitch, I use a few pieces of batting and add stuffing between that so I don't have to worry about the stuffing coming through the spaces.


Here is the design I made up for the appliqué egg, you may use it in other mediums, as well. I am thinking it would be fun to needle felt one and use some of my variegated roving.



I also finished my BOM by Stacy of Buttermilk Basin. I really like how it came out and can't wait to see what next month's block will be.

The puppy magnet is a free pattern that can be found at Apine Industriose. I used two in mine, one in front and one in the back, so it can hold up heavier pieces like this.


13 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you for the pattern ! Love the bom finish.

usagypsy said...

Love the freebie! I'm still working on the bunny you offered a few weeks ago. I've been soo slow lately! I have the patterns from buttermilk basin but haven't started them yet. I think I need to do some wool shopping!

Julie Fukuda said...

Congratulations on all those followers! You are making a lot of people happy.

Kate said...

Congratulations, Debbie, on 500 followers!! Thank you for the sweet freebie.

Raymond Homestead said...

Congratulations on 500 followers! Thank you for sharing the pattern.

Unknown said...

I just saw your blog and liked it very much! the freebie you posted is very nice. than ks for sharing!

Karen said...

Thank you for the egg design, Debbie.

Sandi said...

Congratulations on 500 followers Debbie, your freebie pattern is lovely..off to the printer!

Your Buttermilk basin block is lovely, I've cut mine out but need to stitch it.

Where did you find the cute dog that you have guarding it? Very sweet is it your design also?

Enjoy your weekend.

Rugs and Pugs said...

Congrats on 500 followers!
Thank you for sharing your design. You are always so generous.
Happy Easter.
Hugs :)
Lauren

Robin Leuschen said...

Sweet Freebie ...Thank you !! Love your BOM and the beeskep...mmmm...Im partial !!...lol
Robin

Sew Hungryhippie said...

Congrats -the big 500! Love the flower!!

Allie said...

That's a darling pattern, thank you for sharing it Debbie! Love your bom too!!!

Carole said...

Congratulations on your 500 followers! Now, why did I think that the Queen of Free Pattern Knowledge would not know about Buttermilk basin! LOL Your block is gorgeous!